Thursday, March 17, 2011

Random Thoughts Thursday

We are supposed to go to St. George this afternoon. Abbie threw-up at 8:00 this morning. She hasn't thrown up since. I think we are still going to go. Does that make me a bad mom?

We are going down for a girls week with Grandma and Grandpa and cousins while Russ stays here. I think we will all have fun!

I just read Cinderella Ate My Daughter. First and foremost, I think that most journalists that end up writing a book should have stuck with a long article as it does get a little tedious at times. Also, I don't agree with all of her conclusions or ideas. That said,  I think it is an incredibly important book to read for anyone raising girls. The main message is the overdose of input that tells our daughters it is what  they look like, how much they weigh, and how they catch a man that defines them rather than who they are on the inside. The research is amazing, as well as the younger and younger ages that the messages start. Thankfully the author does still understand that girls will be girls but tries to help us see how important our job as mothers is in teaching girls how to value themselves. Her final message that I do agree with strongly is it is important to recognize the influences on our daughters (and ourselves for that matter) and filter or augment them when necessary. Because if we don't no one will.


Okay that probably deserve a separate post, oh well.

I have been cleaning the house and packing for two days.....I need a vacation.

Sorry, that's it for now!

3 comments:

delagray said...

Actually my comment is really for the last two posts. The picture and story of Savannah is priceless. Also, what a surprise. Now, that's a date. What a guy!!!!!!!

delagray said...

I sent the comment off too soon. The book sounds interesting. Sounds like it's worth the read. I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to know how others feel about the youth so we can be teaching them what is correct before they get bombarded. :o)

Chelle and Aaron said...

I read the book too and I totally agree...she definitely comes across a little crazy at times and I actually think she confused herself more than anything for part of it, but I am glad I read it. Our poor daughters have to face much more than we did and it's good to be aware of how we as moms impact them.