Southwestern Pumpkin Soup
I found this recipe for Southwestern Pumpkin Soup linked on a blog of a friend of mine. I had all the ingredients in the pantry and nothing planned for dinner that night so it was a shoo in. And I am oh so glad. This soup takes almost no time and is beyond good. I made the variation that adds black beans and corn from the comments. I also added some left over enchilada meat and cooked rice so it was super filling. Yum!!
Chicken Enchiladas
This recipe might look a little daunting and I will admit it takes a little bit of time. But it is easy and the best enchiladas I've ever had except for the Red Iguana. I usually make it in the morning and then just take it out in the evening to bake. Then I have more time and the girls are usually more involved in their own thing and interrupt me slightly less. This is from America's Test Kitchen.
Sauce & Filling
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1 onion
3 cloves garlic minced
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1/4 inch wide strips (I use breasts it is just what I have at home._
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 4 oz can pickled jalapeƱos, drained and chopped (I use sauce from chilies in adobe sauce but whatever you have.)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Tortillas and Toppings
10-12 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
1 avocado
5 romaine lettuce leaves
2 limes, quartered
Saute onion in the oil until soft and add the garlic all the spices, salt and sugar. Add the chicken and mix until covered with spices. Then add tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and simmer until chicken is cooked and flavor's meld about 10 minutes. Then drain the sauce through a colander into a bowl and set aside. Spread the chicken out on a large plate and freeze for 10 minutes to cool (This is important or you will end up with soggy enchiladas.) After the chicken is cooled add the jalapeƱos cilantro and cheese.
Heat oven to 300 degrees. Spray the tortillas with cooking spray and spread out single layer on two baking sheets. Bake for 4 minutes until soft and warm. Then increase the oven heat to 400 degrees. In a 9 x 13 pan pour 3/4cup of the sauce into the bottom of the pan. Put about 1/3 cup of the chicken filling in the warmed tortillas and roll. Place seam side down in the 9 x 13 pan. After all the tortillas are in the pan pour the rest of the sauce over the tortillas and top with the cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Serve on the romaine leaves topped with avocado and sour cream!
It is a little work but about the same as a lasagna and it is well worth it! (If you do make it in advance don't pour the sauce over the tortillas until you are ready to bake it so they don't become soggy.)
Dark-Chocolate Mousse
Finally the best dessert known to woman. I got this recipe from my sister-in-law it it is amazing and very easy. I don't think I've ever said this about a dish but in this case it is true, this dish is rich so you don't need to eat a lot to be completely blown away. I would say it serves 6-8 people. The disclaimer is my sister-in-law's but it is absolutely true.
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the results of consuming this mousse. However, I will say that it is To. Die. For.
5 large egg yolks
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup water
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 66% cacao), finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- In the top of a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar together until pale yellow and thick. A ribbon should fall back into the bowl when the whisk is lifted, and the sugar should begin to dissolve.
- Stir in the water. Place over simmering water and cook, whisking vigorously, until the mixture is quite thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 160°F.
- Remove from the heat and add the finely chopped chocolate. Stir until melted. Continue stirring until the mixture is cool to the touch.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the melted chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours. Serve cold.
1 comment:
I've just read through past issues of your post. How did the talk go? - you probably mentioned it somewhere, but I missed it.
Abbie's thinking processes will always amaze me. Love the diving and the bouncing pictures. I love that the girls have nicknames for each other. Special.
Post a Comment