I was trying to be so on the ball and get all of my Christmas shopping done before December so I could enjoy the holiday season. Now it seems the every time I turn around I'm remembering another gift I need to buy.
Today I replaced the batteries in some of the girls toys that have been out of commission for quite some time. They were thrilled for about 30 minutes, then went back to playing with the cardboard box that they had been playing in before. Why do I try?
Abbie has developed a new strategy at story time. At story time we read three books, each of the girls get to pick one and then mom gets to pick one. Abbie will now preempt Savannah going through the stack of books, by finding a book she (Abbie) wants and then asking, "Savannah, do you want to read (insert book)?" Savannah who worships her older sister always says yes. Then Abbie gets to pick out a second book that is her choice thus getting two books she really wants. Part of me thinks I should stop this manipulation, part of me thinks if Savannah is happy no problem, and part of me is proud at the analysis that went in to such nefariousness.
I didn't do Christmas cards this year. I was defiant in November when I needed to be working on it, and now I just feel bad.
Over the last weekend we had Russ's mom, grandma and sister in town. It is so much fun to see so much family loving my kids.
I just finished The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate. It is one of the most enjoyable children's books I've read in a very long time. Also a Newbury Award winner, I guess they know what they're doing.
Yesterday Savannah wandered around the house singing, "Jesus wants a Sunbeam..." for about twenty minutes in a high breathy voice. Killer!
3 comments:
I just love the whole manipulation thing-- we do it too at our house. Wow, kids sure learn fast. I am also still Christmas shopping. Oh well.
Did it out do her performace in Sacarament meeting? :)
I don't think I'm doing Christmas cards, either. There are only so many hours in a day, right?
Post a Comment