Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Present

New Year's Eve is a time for reflection on the accomplishments, triumphs, and tragedies of the past year, and to set goals and resolutions for the new. That is not this post. 

Christmas evening we went over to Russ's dad's for a Christmas party  and we all got...the flu. All, meaning all of Russ's sisters family, half of his brother's family and Abbie and Savannah....thankfully Russ and I have been spared, we hope that sticks.

 Savannah is on the upswing after two days of sitting on the bed listless except for a constant whine. We put her on Tamiflu, which she despises. Now twice a day for the next few days I get to trap my two year old in my arms, pulling her hands away from her mouth with one hand, while I syringe the medicine into her mouth with the other. Then she spits it all back in my face.  Sadly, because I have paid about $100 for the drugs between both girls I am even more insistent that they actually take the medicine. On the upside though, I think we are moving through the illness faster than we would otherwise, based on how the extended family is holding up.

 Abbie is in the thick of it now. Unfortunately, she has also added throwing-up to the list of symptoms which had made it even more fun around here. To top it off today she has been complaining that her neck (throat?) hurts. The complaint is becoming constant enough that I'm starting to worry about strep. Blah.


 So this week we have watched more TV than should be legal, especially when that consists of constant Disney cartoons. This has been all the more frustrating because we have been quarantined from family that is in town that we don't get to see that often. That is, we were quarantined after Abbie had spent the day at my mom's and exposed them all to it. (In my defense, at that point only Savannah had gotten sick and Abbie had kept her distance so I had thought she would be okay.)


 It is the gift that keeps on giving.

3 comments:

The Steeds said...

Wow. I wish I knew what to write that would send you my deepest sypathies. Best of luck! Hang in there.

Allison said...

So far so good around here, so we'll just all keep our fingers crossed, knock on wood, and say some prayers that this gift passes us by. Even if it doesn't, though, we still love you and wouldn't have traded the time spent with you guys for anything.

B said...

So sorry! Leave and go somewhere warm. I am positive that I am allergic to the snow and cold. I was fighting a cold the week between Christmas and New Year's, was fine while I was in sunny Cali and then came home and immediately got another cold. Maybe your girls have the same issue. :)

Hope they are feeling better.