Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Internet Saves the Day

I realize that we have all become highly dependent on the internet. Last night when my husband needed to look up an address he grabbed the yellow pages and it honestly took me a minute to realize what he was doing. Sad I know. However in the last little bit I've found three amazing fixes online that saved my bacon (and my wallet) so I thought I'd pass them on to you.

The Brown Shirt Incident

A few weeks ago I got some money for my birthday and  I went shopping for a much needed wardrobe update. This was especially satisfying because I had my fashion guru friend Lisa and her fashion genius sister Julie along and they helped me buy things I never would have even tried on, but which I absolutely love. This is when the brown shirt was purchased. After shopping, I donned said shirt and raced to my Grandma's 90th birthday party. (If I can be half as sharp and witty as she is at 90 I will be a success.)


After the party I came home and poured myself a bowl of home-made chicken noodle soup. MMMMmmmmm. Then from out of nowhere a bowl fell out of the cupboard and into my bowl of soup splashing delicious homemade chicken stock all over my new shirt. The shirt had been worn for less than three hours when it was covered in grease. AAAuuughh!!

I stripped down and washed it immediately. No good. After consulting, the internet I found out that Dawn can get grease stains out. So I hand washed the shirt in Dawn, soaked it for 30 minutes and put it through the wash cycle. No good. I did the whole thing again, and bingo the shirt is as good as new! Better still the website said that this will work for set in stains so I added a shirt that had a dried in stain to the batch and BINGO! Two shirts recovered.

The Sweater

I have a sweater that I really like. It isn't amazing but it is really warm and still in style (I think?). I haven't been able to wear it for the last few years though because it has been cover in pill balls and fuzz. I couldn't ever get rid of it though so I just kept it at the bottom of my drawer thinking I would wear it someday.

Enter the internet.

Besides telling me there are electric sweater shavers (which for some reason I find hilarious), one person said that disposable razors work just as well to clean off sweaters. It took some time, as the shirt was in BAD shape, but now, while not as good as new it is at least wearable again!

Advent Calender

After deciding that making my own advent calender wasn't the end of the world and scouring the internet for ideas, I found one that a craft-inept person like myself could handle. It even has Martha's seal of approval. I will unveil it once I get it put up in my house!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I really appreciate the grease stain tip. I seem to ALWAYS get something greasy on my shirts. :) And I used to have one of those sweater shavers when I was young. ha ha.

The Woolf Pack said...

I do love when the internet can save the day. I have found lots of good advice (like how to get melted red and blue crayon out of my Mother-in-laws white sheets), while scouring the internet.