Anyone who can name that quote is truly a child of the 80s.....like yours truly. (Note: not born in the 80s but was a child during them.)
Leeks. I've never cooked with them before. Clearly this has been a serious over-site on my part.
But tonight that changed. Roasted Potato and Leek Soup.
Doesn't it bring to mind all sorts of creaming, hearty, deliciousness?
Well Ina Garten did not disappoint. I used her recipe here. And am not going back .
For those of you who don't know leeks are the veggies in the produce section that look like green onions on steriods. And they smell like them too. And when you put Yukon gold potatoes and leeks in your oven to roast for 40 minutes your home smells like you live in a five star restaurant. Now a warning this recipe calls for heavy cream and creme fraishe. I didn't use the creme fraishe and substituted sour cream. I'm sure this was a loss but I didn't have the time or the energy to go across town to a store that would carry such a specialty item. Also I was out of Parmesan. This was a disappointment but the soup was still A.MAZ.ING!
I love soups in general. And in the fall they are a almost a requirement for me. I am still trying to convince the rest of my family that this is the case but I don't really care - they are just going to come a long because it is a must it when the leaves are changing. This soup has instantly moved to the front of the pack, and has done its job well in the convincing process.
Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas
I don't think that there is a lot I need to say to try to convince someone that BBQ chicken and Pineapple Queadillas are a good idea. I mean, BBQ chicken and pineapple. 'Nuff said. If I tell you that it is super easy it is only to be nice because I know you are already trying to figure out how to fit this into this week's menu.
The recipe is from good ol' Ree the Pioneer Woman. Now she uses fresh pineapple while I seriously downgraded and went with canned - although I still did put it on the grill to bring out the flavor, which worked surprisingly well. I will say the secret, is Sweet Baby Ray's the best BBQ sauce in the freakin' world - but that is just my opinion.
I'm fixing it again this week and think the results will be just as positive as the first time. This will become a staple at our house.
Apricot Pork Chops
I've already made these twice since I first made them and they are SO good.We had my brother and his girlfriend over for dinner. Before they came I asked them if pork chops were okay. Like the polite person my brother is he said yes. After he came over he said. These look better than I expected. It turns out he is not a big pork chop fan. After he ate them......he is.
3 comments:
Flight of the Navigator, duh! That was the most quoted line from that movie around my house when I was growing up, mostly because we didn't get it and thought he was talking about peeing.
I was looking at a potato leek soup recipe today, but made the butternut squash one instead. It was okay. I have made a good potato leek soup before, but not one that requires roasting or creme fraiche. Hmmmm...sounds tasty!
Also, Sweet Baby Ray's makes everything taste better!
Those all sound so delicious...maybe because I am sitting here waiting for my lentil soup to finish cooking so I am extra hungry but I want to try all of these recipes.
I wish I were half as motivated as you are!
Post a Comment