Friday, October 1, 2010
The Mountains in the Fall
Like most people that live near the mountains, come mid-September there is an almost irrepressible pull to visit them and see the leaves changing colors. I took the girls up to Silver Lake with a friend a few weeks ago and it was so beautiful that Russ and I went up again that night. The leaves, however, were not at peak color change. They had a few more weeks to get perfect. Everyday when I am out and about doing my errands I look up at the mountains and just ached to go up there. Today we finally made it.
With a last minute call to my sister-in-law we took the kids up the canyon to what has become our family's favorite spot. There is a small stream that runs right though the picnic area and there is a bridge that crosses it over to "Fairy Hideout Territory. Could it get any better? Of course not. The only down side is that while up the canyon you could see splashes of color everywhere, the yellows and reds hadn't quite reached the camp ground. No matter. It was still so incredibly refreshing. Hot cocoa and running around out doors seem to solve just about everything. Both Nicki and I had the same idea and brought stuff for a leaf craft project - that wasn't deterred despite the fact that most of the leaves were green. The girls had a lot of fun!
Life has been rather stressful in our house lately as we have been trying to figure out the next steps in our lives. Going to the mountains this fall has been the greatest stress reliever I know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I miss the mountains and the fall weather for sure. I miss going up the mountains with you and the girls. But I am glad that you are enjoying them for me.
I know that ache for the mountains. I get kind of frantic until I get up to enjoy the fall leaves every year. Glad you made it!
We just visited Mt. Rainier this weekend and it was GORGEOUS! If you guys make it up this way you have to visit our mountain. Hopefully the stress will soon disappear.
I haven't made it up the canyons yet this fall, but from my office window I can tell it is just about time to do so. Glad you are getting away from the stress if it is only for a few hours . . . still so worth it!
Post a Comment