Sunday, October 17, 2010

Applesauce Chicken

If you haven't noticed by my previous blog posts or you haven't heard me complain about it let me fill you in on something - my kids are picky eaters. They are not just ordinary picky eaters - they are extreme in their choosey-ness. Abbie wont eat mashed potatoes, who ever heard of a kid who didn't love mashed potatoes. Savannah will eat hot dogs and mac and cheese. They don't like most meats, any sauce of any kind color, taste or variety. We are a long way off from salad.

  Now please understand I don't encourage or tolerate this behavior but it is not something I can change. How naive I was before I had kids when I was determined that I would have no picky eaters amongst my brood. They would eat it or not eat. I wasn't too worried.


 We have tried everything. They have to eat a certain number of bites to leave the table. They can eat or not eat what is served, but can't eat anything later. They have to try at least one bite of everything. There is not a method that doesn't elicit weeping wailing and gnashing of teeth (not always just the girls). Currently we are doing a weird smashup of all three. Unless they are eating boxed mac and cheese I can almost always expect a tears at the dinner table.

So when a meal comes a long that all four of us like it is a miracle akin to the loaves and fishes.


That is Applesauce Chicken.


I found the meal on A Year of Slow Cooking, wherein Stephanie cooked everyday for a year in using her Crockpot. Baby that is dedication. I don't know where she got this recipe but when she said her kids loved it and requested it again I was game. Especially because it was a Saturday night I realized that I had all the ingredients in my pantry and wouldn't need  to make a run to the store for our Sunday dinner. This dinner is super easy. I served it with mashed potatoes (that Russ and I ate) and green salad (that I ate). I put the sauce in a pan and made a gravy (Applesauce Chicken Gravy...OOOoooobaby!). Although it took some convincing to get the girls to try the chicken once they did they ate a ton - with no coaxing.


It was only when I started to clean the big pile of dishes that were the remains of Sunday dinner that we noticed our sink was leaking....You can't win them all, my friend.

5 comments:

Ben and Lisa said...

Look at me! I'm actually commenting on someone's blog! I always read your posts, I've just gotten ridiculously lazy lately and I never comment. Ever. But I am trying to change my ways.

Anyway, I was so excited when I saw this recipe. I have been trying desperately to actually cook family dinner every night lately (okay, at least 2-3 times a week), and last Monday I tried a recipe called apple chicken. I was a little worried because it didn't turn out quite how I expected, but it sounds really similar to yours except I had to cut up my own apples. I think next time I'll take your route. It sounds a lot better (although mine wasn't horrible--just not what I was expecting). Keep the recipe posts coming. I love them!

Heather said...

I have gotten several recipes from that crockpot365 blog. I love it. And my kids have all gone through this extreme picky stage. We have our methods, too. And I have to say a lot of it may just be age. It seems once they get into elementary school they seem to branch out a tiny bit more. Cole is hopeless at this point, and I honestly have to choose my battles. But Ethan and Sydney are old enough to be forced to eat those veggies. We have the same issues with sauces and anything that looks "different". Of course, they never question whether or not a treat will be yummy.....

The Woolf Pack said...

Ooooh, this is one I'm excited to try. That stinks about the sink though.
I'm pretty sure that Mackenzie has passed the "picky" stage into a whole new realm. I don't even know what to call her lack of eating. Kids are crazy.

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe and it was pretty good. I think it needed salt though.. i added some anyway, but should have added more. We had it with sweet mashed potatoes. My boys loved them.. we call them "candy potatoes" anything with the word "candy" in it always grabs their attention. We make 3 sweet, 1 normal potato and mash it, Ben added orange juice, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to them. They were really tasty and we used some of the applesause from the chicken as a gravy. My boys are pretty picky too, but Bridger always will taste anything. Carter is a little harder, they both gobbled down this meal, so it is for sure a repeat. Thanks for the idea!
Mona

delagray said...

We just had a class in RS on using the slow cooker. This recipe sounds easy a scrumptious. Thanks for passing it on.