Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Growing Up

(If you don't like posts where parents talk about their kids' accomplishments I respect that. However I do suggest that you skip today's post.)

My girls seem to be growing so fast and because this blog is my excuse for not putting together a scrapbook for my kids there are some milestones I want to make sure get recorded. You are welcome along for the ride.

Abbie 

Abbie has become a much more confident social kid in the last few months. She talks to random kids at the play ground, participates in primary often, and even raised her hand to randomly tell her dance teacher that she had a new leotard. (The teacher was slightly annoyed at being interrupted while I beamed that Abbie would have the guts to interrupt an adult other than myself - which she does on an hourly basis -  in the middle of a presentation.) She can draw a person with all major facial features and body parts. We took her swimming today and she ran through the spraying water, jumped off the edge of the pool (into my arms) and did not feel a need to be close to me when she could touch the bottom of the pool. This is far cry from a few months ago when she clung to my arm with a vice-like grip as soon as we entered the water. Abbie has become a very take charge older sister and is happy to hold Savannah's hand as we cross a parking lot, or help explain something new to her. Savannah eats it up. Finally, Abbie has started reading short intro-to-reading books - and most importantly loves it. She only has read the first four books and we introduce new ones gradually because the new words are a little intimidating. She is always so proud of herself when she can get through a book without having me help her with any of the words. I love seeing her confidence blossom.

Savannah

Savannah is also letting her personality be known. She talks a lot and I am always amazed at her vocabulary. The latest additions have been her playing hide and seek where she counts, "One, two, six, seven, nine, ten." and then rushes to find us. When she does she yells out, "I found you!" This is most enjoyable when I haven't actually been hiding but fixing dinner or folding laundry because she is just as excited to find me then as if I were hiding. She also is telling us to "Look at that!" or "Look at this!" with overwhelming enthusiasm. Savannah's other big personality development is her love, no wait obsession with drawing. She loves pens markers and anything else that I really don't want her drawing with and she draws little circles, random lines and scribbles just about everywhere. When this is on paper I am fine, unfortunately lately her legs have been common targets of her artistic drive. Savannah hero worships her sister. As soon as she wakes up from a nap or in the morning she wants to know where Abbie is and what she is doing. A few weeks ago I dropped Abbie off at a friend's house to play and took Savannah with me on errands and Savannah was heartbroken. While the argue a lot I am grateful that they love each other.

2 comments:

B said...

I love that picture of Savannah . . . it just shows her little personality. I also love that Abbie likes to come and sit next to me. Good thing your girls are going to be readers!

The Woolf Pack said...

I love those girls, they are so cute. It is fun to hear how my nieces are growing up, I wish I could see them more often.