In the summer I like my meals easy, fast, and light. The window in my kitchen faces west and from about 3:00 on the room gets really warm anyway without ovens heating, pots boiling, and food sauteing. So despite the fact that IT IS SNOWING OUTSIDE I wanted to bulk up on my summer meals, and fast meals are nice any time of the year. My sister-in-law Allison gave us a standby at their house when we were down in St. George that I wanted to try - Spanish Rice and Black Beans on Tostatas. Now I know my first thought when she told me about this meal ages ago. BORING! No flavor, no meat, and beans yuck. However when Allie made it for us I was completely sold so let me do my best to sell you on this delicious under 30 minute meal perfect for when you have no time or money left for dinner.
1 - Rice. Rice is easy, cheap, and at least for us is sitting in bulk in our food storage just waiting to be used. Plus my kids like it. That is a BIG plus around my house. (Tangent - Allie and I were talking about things we naively swore our kids would never do. I swore I would never have picky eaters as children. I would make them learn to love food. Dang it! I think God just likes to laugh at me sometimes.) Plus turning the rice into Spanish rice adds lots of flavor.
2 - Black Beans. When I first think refried beans I think yuck, yuck, fatty thick yuck. However re-fried black beans honestly taste different than their pinto bean counter parts. They are definitely worth a go. Beans are also inexpensive, good for food storage and high in iron.
3 - How many of us are getting the amount of lentils we need? I thought so. Me neither. This meal can decrease any guilt you should be feeling but are choosing to ignore (Like me!) in that area. Now really this meal needs a veggie to be considered really healthy but adding a can/bag of corn is not that big of a deal. Takes a few seconds to zap in the microwave and you are done. (Yes I know corn isn't technically a veggie. Sue me.)
Sopa de Arroz (Traditional Mexican Rice)
Serve 6-8
2 Tbsp corn oil
1/2 onion minced
2 cups white rice
1 garlic clove
1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped ( I didn't peel or seed mine and didn't notice a difference.)
4 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
pinch cumin
Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the rice. Saute the rice until it turns opaque and the onion is translucent 5-7 minutes
Place garlic, tomato, and one cup of stock in a blender or food processor and puree well. Add the tomato puree and the rest of the stock to the rice. Season with salt and pepper; add cumin and return the pan to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes. Turn off the heat, and leave the pan covered. When ready to serve, remove the lid, fluff the rice a bit with a spoon, then transfer to a covered serving dish.
Black Beans
1 can Black beans
Salsa or one can of diced green chili (optional)
Rinse beans and put in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. Then put beans and 1/2 cup of salsa or diced green chili's in a food processor and process until smooth.
Assembly
Spread the bean mixture on a tostata. Put the rice either on the beans or next to them. Add cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Serve.
Super, super easy and even my kids loved it!
2 comments:
This sounds like a meal that I would love & I won't mess up. :)
The dresses are adorable!
We had this the other night, and no one complained that we'd just had it with Grandma & Grandpa. That's how popular it is around here. Glad you liked it so much!
Post a Comment