Now anything with smothered in the title is telling you ahead of time that it is full of soft gravey goodness. This is no exception. When you cook bacon with the sole purpose of using the juices to flavor the gravy you know you are talking about good gravey. Last night I made Smothered Pork Chops. Not only was it a new recipe but the truth is...I've never made pork chops. It is true. I have nothing against them. I have vauge memories of my mom making them with no real attachment postivie or negative towards them. I just buy frozen chicken by the bulk so that is what we most often eat.
Imagine starting with the smell of bacon in your kitchen (anything that starts with the smell of bacon means good things heading your way). Take the bacon out, save the drippings and add flour like you are making a roux. This is the first new thing I learned. Wisk the flour in on medium heat until the roux starts to look like peanut butter. You then loose the raw flour taste and add a nutty flavor. (Cool huh?)Then add chick broth.
On to the pork. Sear both sides on high heat. Then brown your onions (long strips of softened onion...sigh.) in the pork drippings. Add the pork and the chicken/bacon broth, and simmer/braise for 30 minutes covered on low heat. The pork will be done after 15 minutes but it will be soft, tender, juicey, and chock full of flavor after 30. MMMMmmmmmm.. Take the pork out turn the heat up to high to thicken the gravy then pour it on top of the chops on your serving platter. Oh and dare I say it....put the sprinkled bits of bacon from the beginning of the recipe on top. MMMMMmmmm Oh wait I said that already, but I couldn't help myself. Even thinking about it makes me hungry all over again.
We served with sweet potatoes braised in cream (Yes! Cream. But only two tablespoons so it isn't that bad, right?) and asparagus. Yes, those asparagus. It was a fabulous meal. Russ ate two pork chops. Abbie liked the pork chops. We have success!
PS - This meal probably requires doing sit-ups or running a marathon afterwards. I'm not claiming to have done those things but I was thinking that they were a good idea. :)
6 comments:
Your posts make me salivate! I love the way you write about food.
They sound fantastic! I think you should have a Saturday where Russ tries a new recipe. Just for fun...:)
And by tries I meant cooking it, I was told that wasn't very clear.
Oh the does sound yummy! Sounds like pork is a winner with Abbie everytime.
It's a great idea, Jen, but there's only so much you can do with ramen.
sounds so delicious. And not too difficult. I will have to save this one to try. we had sweet potatoes and asparagus with our dinner last night and I hadn't even read your post. lol. I've never tried braising my sweet potatoes in cream. we just roasted all the veggies.
Post a Comment