Sunday, March 7, 2010

Socialization

In my class this week we talked about how our opinions are formed through the process of socialization. The influences we most often spent time with embed themselves into our psyche. That would explain why Savannah loves hide and seek -- Abbie's favorite game. Savannah runs to the corner where we count and proceeds to yell out words that sound similar to numbers, in no particular order, until she has decided that is enough. Hopefully it has been enough for us to find a hiding spot conspicuous enough for her to find us. It also explains her love of drawing on just about every papered surface (and a few non-papered surfaces) that she can get her hands on. Abbie loves all things artistic and Savannah follows her every move.


This doesn't however explain Abbie's fascination with getting married. I don't talk about getting married. Not with my three year old! I don't parade around in beautiful dresses or talk about dancing the night away. But some how she is very focused. She loves to watch our wedding video, although lately that has been out of circulation as Up has taken dominance. But most interesting was her conversation with her friend Spencer.

Spencer came over to play and immediately Abbie runs to me to help her put on her princess dress.


Spencer: Oh, brother, I know what this means.

Abbie: Spencer I want to get married.

Spencer: I'm working on the computer at Verizon dot com.

Abbie: I want to get married.

Spencer: Ignores her.

Abbie: Mom I want Spencer to marry me.

This goes on for about twenty minutes.

Abbie: PU -LEASE can we get married.

Spencer: FINE. Then can we go to the dinosaur museum.

Abbie: Yes!!


Nature or Nurture my friends? I come down that nature is pretty darn strong.

5 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

I think I will agree with you. Boy, I wish I could have been there for that conversation. :)

The Steeds said...

Oh, I can see it now. Well, that conversation really pin-ponits Spencer to the T. Wish that I was a fly on the wall for that conversation. And as for Verizon.com? I didn't know that Spencer even knew about Verizon.

delagray said...

GG's comment: "Where do kids come up with these things?" I, too, wish I could have been a fly on the wall. Precious

Allison said...

This was absolutely hilarious. I'm laughing so hard I can barely type!

B said...

Love it! My guess is that she has gotten it off any of the princess/disney movies that she has watched. . . almost all of them carry one wedding scene. :)