Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stuff I'm doing this Spring

First, I had a wonderful Mother's Day. I got to sleep until almost 8:00 which was especially fortunate because Savannah was up bright and early at 6:30...again. I came downstairs to corn meal berry pancakes and a wonderful card, illustrated by Abbie. In addition to sleeping in (really the best gift any mother can get in my humble opinion), Russ got me a beautiful rose plant to put in our planters on the patio. However the highlight was Scotty's farewell. Even though I'm not his mom, it was wonderful to hear Scotty speak and talk about women in the scriptures and then pay a beautiful tribute to my mom. I think he will make an excellent missionary.


Second,



The Tour de Cure Century bike ride, Saturday June 13th. Yup 100 miles. But I am not that crazy (or in shape), I'll leave that to Russ. I am doing the metric century -- 69 miles. To be honest, I am terrified. I've debated not posting this event until after it is over because of the very real possibility of me ending up collapsed on the side of the road. I've been riding at home three nights a week after the girls are in bed and trying to go on a longer ride on Saturday. Unfortunately my longest ride has only been 20 miles due to time restrictions so I could be in real trouble adding another 49 miles to that.

My second and less challenging project is a garden. As most of you know we are in a townhouse which doesn't have a yard for gardening. I looked into finding a community garden, but was unable to commit to the daily trips to water. My parents are too busy to do their garden this summer so they volunteered their garden space and water and Russ and I volunteered our planting and weeding abilitites. A few weeks ago we cleared out the space and yesterday we planted tomatoes, zucchini, squash, eggplant (yummy!) green and red peppers. I know it isn't much to look at now but I am excited for the prospect of fresh produce in the fall!
Finally, several books I've been reading. I've been reading a bunch of books by Sandra Dallas (Tallgrass, New Mercies, The Diary of Mattie Spencer, The Persian Pickle Club ) which I think most of you would enjoy. They include themes of friendship, family, love and all that good girlie stuff along with mystery and plot twists at the very end that make them fun. They aren't the best books I've ever read, but very good.

3 comments:

delagray said...

I can't believe you are really going to do this. Not because I don't you can, but because I can't imagine doing it. More power to you. I think it's great.
The garden looks great. I'm supposed to be planting one, too, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet.
Thanks for listing more books. As you will see in my blog I just finished the Persian Pickle Club. Can't wait to read the one you sent for my birthday/mother's day. Thank you.

The Woolf Pack said...

I will have to check out those books. You always suggest great books.
I think you will do great on that bike race. I'm excited for you, I can't wait until I can be back to doing stuff like that.
Good luck with the garden, Mark & I had one when we were first married. Most of it came out pretty well, & it was fun to eat what we grew ourselves.

Mona said...

Whoa, Emily, good luck with the biking. And good for you!!