Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hair Drama Mama








I know I am a baby when it comes to my hair. I very rarely change styles and when I do it is usually a dramatic/traumatic experience. I think it is because I'm not such a fan of my hair anyway (thin, stringy) and so any change just causes me to adjust from a look that I had just learned to tolerate - not necessarily enjoy - to something new (Yes, yes...I am an Ebert). My sister and all of my sister-in-laws (on both sides of the family) have been blessed with wonderfully beautiful thick hair. It really only serves to undermine any effort I have to improve my style as I see that whatever any of them do - it looks perfect, and I just can't keep up!

Unfortunately my paranoia (there really should be a support group for people like me) has trickled down to how I deal with Abbie's hair. For the longest time she has needed something done with her hair. She - at age two - had never had it cut. The ends were stringy and it looked unkempt whenever it was in anything other then some version of a pony tail. Yet...until Friday I couldn't bring myself to do anything about it. I'm the mom - I could scar her for life with a bad haircut. She could turn out to be like me - unable to do anything but the most minor changes with style, convinced that I have dramatically changed my appearance. (Seriously - I can't tell you the number of times I thought that I had gotten a dramatic new do only to have no one notice the difference. Russ of course has now been instructed to always notice. Poor guy.)

This Friday I gave in. I don't want an image-obsessed daughter. (I repeat over and over as we drive to my friend who cuts hair) How bad can it be? Hair grows right? Of course Abbie loved the whole process from beginning to end, behaved beautifully and if you ask her about it she will say, "I got my hair cut....so pretty!" What was I worried about?

The pictures above are before and down at the bottom after. You can't really tell from the pictures but I think it turned out pretty darn cute. (But you probably can't even tell the difference.)


10 comments:

The Steeds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Steeds said...

I really like her hair! It is super cute!

delagray said...

I'm cheating and am going to comment on both posts at the same time. Hair cuts can be traumatic. Abbie's looks really cute. Like you said, she probably doesn't care one way or the other. The movies are priceless. It's a joy to see the girls in action. Savannah's smile is to cute. There's nothing like a baby's smiles. GG loved see the pictures, too. Abbie-kins reminds me, more and more, of a drawing of a little girl in a Golden Book I had as a child. Even as a child I thought this little girl was adorable. Some of the pictures of Abbie look just like her.

The Woolf Pack said...

You can totally tell a difference, and she looks adorable. Mackenzie has only had a few trims, one day we will give in and cut it. Luckily at this age they don't even want their hair done, so I say enjoy it while you can.

Allison said...

You know, Em, you could have just sent her to my house and Ellie would have been happy to take care of it for her! However, it looks like you did a great job! Abbie is so cute anyway you could have given her a mullett and no one would have cared.

I have been forced to learn, thanks to my children, that hair is just hair and it will grow back (albeit sloooooowly), and the sister-induced mullett won't last forever.

Ben and Lisa said...

You know I feel for you when it comes to not knowing what to do with your daughter's hair. I recently had Cambelle's cut, but she doesn't have as much hair as Abbie and it didn't turn out as cute. Like everyone else has said, Abbie is so cute it doesn't matter what you do to her hair! (However, it does look very cute).

Kelseybob said...

The Hoskins hair grows so fast that if we were to do just little trims we would have to go every weeks. :) Sheldon helped me decide to cut Allie's into a cut little bob, because he started the cutting.

Chelle and Aaron said...

Em, you are beautiful and I love your hair. Abbie is also absolutely adorable. You 4 should take a trip to Colorado sometime soon.

Heather said...

I swear I commented on this earlier. I must be the "deleted" comment but I don't remember deleting. hmmm. Anyway, it's darling! And I think your hair is really cute. Your too hard on yourself....

Mona said...

Emily- you crack me up! I don't see much difference with her hair..just a little shorter. Very cute... and I can never remember a time when you didn't have a cute hair style. But you have reminded me again why I love having sons.... they don't care about hair at all. My hair issues are enough for this family!