Sunday, October 19, 2008

ER Embarrassments

There is a doctor at my pediatrician's office that I don't like. I've only seen him one or two times when my pediatrician wasn't available and we needed someone. Unfortunately neither time went well. This doctor made me feel like I was over-reacting when Abbie broke her arm - as he was convinced there was no problem. He also made my sister-in-law cry when he said her son was malnourished. (The boy is related to Russ - enough said.) Anyway after my second bad experience I've just tried to avoid him. I figure that even if he is right about things - I don't trust him so I would question what he said, want to talk to someone else, and waste the visit.

(That is the background.)

So when I was in the ER with Abbie (see below for details) the nurse practitioner came in and was asking the normal background questions,

"Age, weight, pediatrician..."

When I told her who my pediatrician was, she acted like she knew her so I asked if she did.

She replied, "Well do you know (insert the name of the doctor I don't like.)?"

"Yes," I replied, "but I haven't had the greatest experiences with him." (Why oh, why did I need to say it??)

(Long awkward pause.)

"Well, he is my husband."

Oh. (Insert foot.)

What are the chances??????

I immediately tried to backpedal taking all of the blame on myself for any bad experiences I might or might not have had taking my daughter to her husband, said I'm sure he is a great doctor, and mentally pled that her anger at me for insulting her husband would not affect her professional judgment in getting said daughter to breathe as soon as possible.

Thankfully she was wonderfully professional with Abbie, very caring and fun, and helped us a great deal. The only major problem that I had was every time she walked in the room the big "JERK" label on my forehead seemed to light up.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That is hilarious! Jeff and I read it and were both laughing. Sorry to hear about Abbie's asthma, Owen gets croup really bad and we know the late night ER visits and panic of a child who can't breathe well.

Kristen said...

O.K. The docter thing totally sounds like something that would happen to me! What are the odds?! That sounds scary about Abbie. I am glad she is good now.

The Steeds said...

What a great story! What are the odds, really. I will have to catch up on all of the details later-- but, I am glad that Abbie is home now and that she is doing better.

Allison said...

Ugh, how embarassing! But I suppose it could have been worse - you could have said a lot more than just "I haven't always had the greatest experiences with him." Besides, it's her fault anyway, for being all cryptic and not just saying, "Oh, my husband works with her." Right? Right!

The Woolf Pack said...

Yikes! We all need our little foot in mouth experiences to keep us humble. Right? :) I agree that she should have just come right out and said he was her husband. Maybe she has heard that story before?