Monday, May 5, 2014

Shortening and Salt and Splashing

Did you know that shortening can go bad? I did not. I found out after I had used it to make three pie crusts. The hours that went into that process are something I can never get back, the pies innards were delicious, but the crusts......disgusting. I truly didn't know that shortening can go bad. I thought it smelled and tasted a little off in the process but I knew I had followed a very good recipe exactly so I didn't worry about it. The crusts were golden, flaky and beautiful.....and as mentioned, disgusting.

I had another mishap with the pies (before I realized they were disgusting). I took two strawberry rhubarb pies out of the oven to cool on my counter. Later I opened the cupboard and....wait for it...a bowl of salt fell out on top of one of the pies. Thankfully I was able to peel off the section of crust covered in salt (only later realizing that the crust didn't need salt to make it disgusting) and eat the filling.

I am determined to learn how to make a good pie, but I clearly have a ways to go.

Saturday the girls did an amazingly quick job cleaning their room, the play room and the bathroom. So we decided to go for a quick hike. It was a lot of fun.  The hike was short enough that even those who started with a bad attitude soon lost it, and there was a waterfall at the end. Everyone under three was quickly covered in water and everyone three to nine quickly started climbing all over the rocks. Nobody wanted to leave when it was time. All in all a successful outing.




1 comment:

The Woolf Pack said...

Looks like a fun hike! Sorry about your pie crusts. At least it was the shortenings fault and not yours. I've made some pretty horrific brownies (just ask Russ)and it was completely my fault.
If you want to practice making pies while I'm in town, I'm happy to be a taste tester. :)