I am possibly the only woman in America to feel this way but I do. When I shop for clothes I feel fat, clueless about style, and my eyes are always bigger than my wallet. When I shop for food the yummy stuff always has just too many calories to justify..and then I buy it anyway.
These days I'm shopping for a couch. When I shop for furniture I feel much the same way as when I shop for clothes, clueless about style and with eyes bigger than my wallet (thankfully not fat). In the last month, I have been to about 10 furniture stores in my area. Through much discussion my husband and I have finally come to an agreement on what we want. A gray mid-century modern couch with a smooth back.
We saw the perfect couch online, under a blog about mid-century modern furniture at reasonable prices. After looking at stores in our area that carry the couch.....we found that their definition of reasonable is about three times what our definition was.
We went to the big furniture store....nothing really modern.
We went to the "modern" furniture stores......nothing even resembling reasonable.
Today I went to look at two couches we had seen online on Crate & Barrel (which store I am now in love with, despite my hatred for shopping.)
On the first couch, the color online looked nothing like the color in real life. On the second, it was too small, designed to be the perfect couch for an apartment.
As I was walking around I was feeling at my wits end. Then I saw their bedding. Russ and I also need a new duvet cover as ours is the one we got for our wedding....eight years ago....and is barely holding it together. The designs were fun, funky, and bold, and just the change we need from where we are. I called Russ. He looked online and we agreed on a design.
I could ignore the fact that along with the duvet I had to buy pillow shams that cost almost as much as the duvet itself. (Seriously? Who came up with that racket?.) I could ignore the reality that to really make the bed look like the one in the display, I had to purchase an extra blanket in a complimenting color, along with several hundred dollars in throw pillows (which also cost a ridiculous amount for fabric and stuffing). I could ignore this because finally, after weeks of looking and leaving empty handed I could leave a store with an actual purchase! A duvet cover! I could cross one item of my list as completed! I could say I was finished with shopping for this particular item and move forward.
I went to make the purchase.
The duvet is out of stock. It wont be in stock until mid-June.
2 comments:
Aaach! And, I might add, you have an infant. You are amazing! Good luck in your search for furniture/bedding and congratulations on your house.
The story of my life! I went looking for fabric for our guest room and they had exactly what I wanted as a display...so I asked if I could get that. Oh, they don't even make it anymore. I'm excited you found something though, you are a step ahead of me.
Post a Comment