Sunday, August 22, 2010

You've got to be kidding me!

Last week was Girls Camp. This is what I learned about teenage girls. They are 100%. They don't do things by halves. If they are mad, they are 100% mad. If they are spiritual than it is 100%. The mood and the emotion change rapidly but whatever they are feeling at the moment it is completely encompassing.

But that is not why I'm writing today.

Today, I made an easy Sunday dinner of tortilini and sauce. I've had a busy week and needed something that didn't require much effort. I was excited because in a house of picky eaters pasta is always a winner.


But not today.

Savannah wouldn't touch it. At all. We tried sauce, not sauce, warm, cold, big bite, little bite, time out, animal bites, time out again, and again and again. I was tempted to shove a fork down her mouth.

It would be one thing if she tried a bite and hated it. It would be another if I didn't know that normally when I serve any pasta dish she is covered in both pasta and sauce within the first five minutes. I could not believe her complete refusal to eat something that I am still confident she would have loved if she had tried it.

We finally settled on no ice cream at grandma's because she didn't eat her dinner. She was disappointed but only mildly until she was distracted by the toys.

Sigh.

4 comments:

Allison said...

It seems like, with Savannah, it's not so much about what the food on the plate is, but whether or not she feels she has complete control over the situation. She is a crackup, but then again, she's not my kid and I don't have to deal with it. Sorry for you, but I have to admit it did make me laugh.

B said...

I will still say that the nursey pumped that girl full of sugar so she wasn't hungry. :)

The Steeds said...

Did I just see this same situation at my house? Am I looking in the mirror? B/C this happens to me all of the time. At least I know that I am not alone. PS-- I need to call and get the full scoop on YW camp. My sister is down right now from SL and I will call when I can. Take care:)

Heather said...

pasta sounds so yummy to me. You can come cook your gourmet stuff for me anytime and I will never complain! Our girls camp was so awesome. Seriously NO DRAMA. I couldn't believe it. blew me away. :)