Monday, June 9, 2008

Bye-bye Ginky

Well now that Abbie is two -pictures from her birthday pending - we decided that it was time to say good-bye to the binki - or "Ginky" as you prefer. I wanted to move past this event before I become excessively sleep deprived with night feedings from a new baby here soon. Now I know there are some who are appalled that we've let her use one for this long - albeit only for bed and nap time - and others that think why stop a good thing but for better or worse (this weekend - worse) this is where we are.

This is the most traumatic thing to happen to young Abbie (and considering that, she is a pretty lucky kid). Every night, and every nap time she asks for it and we have to remind her it is lost (conveniently done by herself last Friday.) She get such a sad expression on her face it nearly breaks my heart. Poor kid. Unfortunately this has made falling asleep more difficult and nap times considerably shorter. So we are not only dealing with a disappointed child, but a sad and very sleep deprived one as well. Poor me.

I've been told by friends that this adjustment phase lasts anywhere from a couple of days to a week so hopefully we will see the light soon and she can catch up on some sleep - and I can too.

3 comments:

Ben and Lisa said...

Hola!! I'm sure you get sick of my stories, but here we go. The first time we tried to take Coop's binky away, it was a nightmare. People told me it would slowly get better, but it got worse and worse and worse. I think he just wasn't ready. We gave it back to him and decided he needed to have control over this one thing in his life. He only had it for sleep and finally just gave it up one day. Crazy. Good luck. I know she can do it!

Allison said...

Fortunately (or not, depending on the perspective - fortunate now, not-so-fortunate when I just wanted them to GO TO SLEEP!!!) Lexi was the only one of my kids who took a binky. And she lost it herself when she was about Abbie's age and we jumped at the chance. It took about a week and then she didn't ask for it anymore, so hang in there! And expect a slight relapse when the baby's born, but stick to your guns and you'll all be fine!

I got your message on my phone about a week ago, by the way, and one of these days I will actually call you back!

The Woolf Pack said...

I am so sorry. I tried to get my kids to take binky's as babies, but both refused. Hopefully she will realize how nice it is not to have one. Hang in there!