This Friday Russ called me from work.
"What time is the babysitter coming tonight?"
"5:30"
"Can she come earlier?"
"Probably, why?"
"We need to talk."
Friday Russ's company decided that they had been struggling to get back in black long enough and that it was time to close up shop. Thirty days and then thirty days severance. Then.....
I think I spent Friday in shock. We had been at the job almost exactly a year. We knew that this company would not last forever, but man we wanted it to. The pay was good, the people were great, the work was fulfilling and the hours were perfect. It is a balance that has been elusive over the years. We worry it will be hard to find again.
We have savings, we know how to be frugal, and we know how to work hard.
We can do this and will be fine.
We know that God is real. He loves us and will help us through this experience. He has helped us many, many times in our lives. His love and guidance are uplifting and comforting and give us great hope for the future. He has already given us that hope in big old mountain size gobs, for which I am grateful.
I also know that Russ is an highly talented designer and illustrator, a crazy hard worker and so blasted much fun to have around that any agency/in-house position/company looking for regular freelance work would be lucky as a kid on Christmas to have him work for or with them.
But, truth be told, I just don't want this character-building-gaining-deep-perspective-on-the-meaning-of-life--the-universe-and-everything experience right now. I want to be able to sleep at night, plan my budget for the future, and return to my peaceful Thursday existence.
But no one asked me.
So forward it is....
1 comment:
Oh, man! I'm so sorry. Russ is amazing - I'm sure he's already in high demand. But it can't be easy to look ahead right now. Good luck!
P.S. I'm pretty sure Chris's firm is hiring graphic designers...I'm just sayin' ;)
Post a Comment